Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Has "Christ Follower" jumped the shark?

Once in a while in our mens bible study we manage to raise an eyebrow or two. I say an eyebrow or two because some of us only have one anyway . At Renaissance a mens bible study is made up of 6-8 guys who wrestle with scripture and try to help one another live what we have pinned down or what has pinned us down. Nothing flashy just speaking truth to one another and yes we even pray for one another. So what raised our eyebrows ( or monobrows ). The fact that the term Christ Follower has probably jumped the shark.*  

So here's what our group stumbled upon when looking at Mark 8's words: 
 34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life[b] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

There seems to be a whole lot of submission involved in Jesus'  ideas about following (it's almost as if a follower is not really in charge of the direction things are taking). You see in the last few years it's become pretty hip to avoid all self identification that has any connection with any form of "institutional flavor" of Christian community ( I don't call myself a "Christian" or a "Baptist"  or a "Presbyterian", "I don't really follow any formal religion", I just consider myself a Christ Follower". 
It sounds pretty airtight and oh so "authentic" but in our conversations this week we made the observation that is is probably most often being used in some kind of "free agent" , "I reserve the right to do things my way when it comes to faith issues", attitude.  Not very Mark 8 follower like.
I'm not trying to establish some kind of infallibility to my own tribe within the varied flavors. But if you do think you are following Jesus on the highway of life ( probably the narrow lane actually) and when you look around and you are completely on your own most days you may want to run the plates on that car in front of you. There's a good chance that whoever is driving, it is pretty likely that Jesus did not "take the wheel"! * *

* For those of you who are too young to understand a Happy Days reference , or were busy being productive during the 70's the phrase is explained here.
** While I never really liked the song "Jesus take the Wheel" By Mrs Fisher I love the song/video " Cletus Take The Reel".

No comments: